Subject: Update from U of Houston
Hi there!
Happy near-end of the semester everyone--and what a crazy whirlwind of a semester it has been!
I think by this point, I can safely and confidently say that I'm happily settled into life here at the University of Houston and that, overall, I'm loving life.
I couldn't be happier with how my classes are going here. All but one of my classes this past semester were music related, and what a treat that was! Music theory and aural skills have been challenging (especially when we have to sight-sing on note names in alto clef!), but I am ever improving and getting more and more comfortable with the challenges they present.
As far as my individual voice training is concerned, I think I've made some pretty great improvements this semester, thanks to my wonderful teacher here, Professor Evans. I can't even express how much I love lessons here and all of the repertoire I've been working on. It's been a bit daunting, and he is far from easy on me--he tells me constantly that he picks on me like he does his graduate students, and I'd believe it. He's so good about challenging me to be a better singer, musician, etc. all of the time, which I love.
Perhaps the most exciting thing that has occurred just recently was my successful audition up into the Concert Chorale here at UH, which is the top choir in our school. I was lucky enough to be one of only 8 people they accepted into the group for next semester, and I couldn't be more excited. One of the most exciting opportunities on the near horizon with that group is going to be our performance at the Texas Music Educators Association conference (fondly referred to as simply TMEA to those involved) in February. Apparently it's one of if not the largest music conference in the United States and possibly the world as well, so it's a huge honor that our choir was invited to sing this year--and that I get to go! Of course, the amount and difficulty of music that I have to learn before then is more than a bit daunting, but I'm excited for the challenge at the same time.
As a part of joining this new group, I received the opportunity to audition to be a part of a small select group of 32 out of the entirety of Chorale that will go to Marktoberdorf, Germany this May for the Marktoberdorf International Chamber Choir Competition. I just figured out last night that my audition was good enough to secure one of the spots in this prestigious group sponsored by the university, so from May 15 through June 2 I will be in Germany! Unfortunately, this means I can't compete in the Classical Singer competition again this year, but I think it's a worthy sacrifice! :)
So that's just about it for me these days! Thank you everyone for the amazing support you have been in every part of my life. You are ever in my prayers!
May you have a blessed Christmas!
Anna Montgomery
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
So proud of Anna!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So cool!! How exciting for Anna!
Post a Comment