Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Compassion in Ecuador Part 1

Jason and I returned from our trip to Ecuador on Saturday morning, August 10th.  I have to say, I thought that I was emotionally and physically spent before we even stepped foot on the plane to head down there, but after the week we experienced, I realized that I wasn't even close.  It was an amazing trip filled with so much emotion that I cannot even begin to share everything that happened, but I will try to give some of the highlights.

We arrived in Quito, Ecuador on Sunday night, August 4th.  Our group consisted of eleven people (six from one family) from St. Peter's and our Compassion US trip leader Megan, who is from Colorado.  A couple of our Compassion Ecuador trip interpreters, Liz and Mela, were waiting for us.  The new airport in Quito, is actually not very close to Quito at all.  It took about an hour and a half to get from the airport to the hotel, on a bus ride that was very hilly, winding, and bumpy.  By the end of the week, most people had episodes of car sickness at some point.  Quito is also two miles above sea level, so we all had to adjust to the altitude; some adjusted better than others.  The Compassion International folks greeted us warmly and were more than accommodating for our every need.  The hotel was ready for us with warm washcloths and fresh squeezed juice when we arrived at 1 a.m.

Our Compassion Ecuador trip leader, Andrea, greeted us Monday morning and we set off on a pretty easy day.  Our first stop took us to the Compassion International Headquarters in Quito.  The people that we met at the office were very welcoming and provided us with the inner workings of Compassion.  For those of you that do not know, "Compassion International exists as an advocate for children, to release them from their spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enable them to become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults."  It is Christ centered, Child focused, Church based, and Committed to Integrity.  There are many ways to become involved with Compassion, but one of the ways is to sponsor a child whom you are then able to correspond with as often as you like.  The very small monthly cost allows your sponsor child to be able to attend a project that provides the child with a meal, bible teaching, and tutoring a few times a week.  Those are the things you hear about.  We were able to hear many more stories about how much more Compassion involves themselves in these children's lives all the way from abusive situations to legal problems.  After this trip, I am a HUGE advocate and would love to speak with anyone that has questions about it.  "Compassion" is the perfect name for this organization.  No where, not at any of the churches/projects, will you see the name "Compassion International."  It's not about them, it's about the children.  An AMAZING organization.  


This is where all of the letters are sorted to go to the different projects.


The sweet faces of Ecuador.



After the visit to the office, they took us to lunch overlooking a beautiful crater, where we had some laughs with the local alpaca.  We then went to the equator and took pictures by the monument.  Andrea was saying that over the years, as technology has become better, the "center" has changed a few times and they have actually moved this huge monument.




On Tuesday morning, we took an early flight to Guayaquil, a large city on the coast.  It was back on the bus for another ride to the airport.  We immediately drove to one of Compassion's CSPs, Child Survival Programs.  The CSPs are Compassion sponsored churches that provide mothers of children from ages 0-3 access to medical services, food, vaccines, and parent training.  It was pretty eye opening to realize that these young mothers need to be educated on the simple handling and interactions with their babies.  These centers teach these women the basics but are so on top of every single detail of their lives and go above and beyond to assist them in every way possible.  

When we arrived at Program 334, there was a band consisting of children waiting for us.  Everyone was so excited to see us and there were many hugs given immediately upon getting off of the bus.  We walked into the church and were greeted by the pastor and program director, both of whom have amazing stories of turning away from their personal lives of danger and destruction, and accepting Jesus Christ.  There was a little girl named Sonia Elizabeth that immediately caught my attention because she reminded me so much of Callie Jae.  (I'm trying to figure out how to document all of this.  There is so much detail I could get into but then I would be writing a novel.  Sorry, I don't want to ramble, but I'll keep trying to stick to the important things).





Sonia Elizabeth.


The Pastor and Project Coordinator.


Dancing queen.


After some worship, we separated and went on a home visit...life changing and something I will NEVER forget.  I don't know that I can even describe the emotion that overwhelmed us all.  We were visiting with a mom, Natalie, and her one year old Jesella.  However, you need to remember that these are babies having babies.  Natalie was in her later teen years and was described as "mentally retarded."  Natalie lives with her mom and seven others in this "house."  The house was built over very dirty water, that was used for everything, and in order to enter it, only one person at a time could walk over a not so stable bridge.  You could see the water through the floor boards and any time that a person moved, the entire house wobbled.   We spoke with Natalie and her mom about life and Jesella, as well as the improvements with Jesella in the short six months since Natalie has joined the Program. 




Baby Jesella.

My favorite moment of the trip happened in this home.  There was a little girl named Nicole that greeted us with the biggest smile upon arrival.  She was the younger sister of Natalie and about 10 years old.  She was SO excited that we were there and NEVER stopped smiling.  At one point when Natalie became overcome with emotion describing to us how she just wants Jesella to be healthy and "not grow up like me," Nicole began crying as well and asked us to just pray for her sister.   She embraced Jason...and wouldn't let go.  Tears streamed down all of our faces and Jason says, "you have a very pretty smile.  You need to keep smiling."  Life changing, heart warming, and touching.


Nicole.  Pure.  Loving.  Forever in my heart.


Those of you that pray, please join me in praying specifically for this family's health and the injured leg of the husband of the main mother in this household.  I tried to specifically ask each mother what they wanted me to pray for, and this was the request in this home.  The power of prayer is amazing.  Please help them.

The day continued back at the center in which we were able to serve these amazing mothers and their children lunch.  A warm embrace and a God bless you, exchanged between Sonia, the mother of Sonia Elizabeth, and myself was had as she walked out the door.  Two mothers, two little girls, two different worlds, the same hope (esperanza) for our children, the same amazing God.

I was reading a favorite verse from a favorite friend last night.  I read it with a whole new perspective.  "May the God of HOPE fill you with all JOY and PEACE as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with HOPE by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13
      



1 comment:

Just a Mom said...

So glad to hear all of this! Love the picture of Jason with Nicole. I'm sure you both are forever changed :)