It has been a little hectic around here lately between the cold weather, ice, and a sick little boy. The end of last week brought the city of Houston to a standstill with over 800 accidents in less than 12 hours due to black ice on bridges and overpasses. This city is just not equipped to deal with freezing temperatures. Therefore, we spent a couple of days inside due to the conditions outside. Then, late Saturday night, Rylan spiked a fever of 103.7. It continued throughout Sunday, peaking at 104.1, but decreased with Motrin until he was due for another dose. You could tell he did not feel well though because he basically slept on and off all day. Fortunately, he woke up with a very low grade fever on Monday and sometimes had none at all. He felt much better as well. It seems that there is a strain of flu going around here that was not covered in the flu shot. Fortunately in our case, it did not last very long and seemed to be symptomless, besides the fever.
I debated on taking Rylan to the sibling class, but because he did so well on Monday, I decided it wouldn't hurt anyone or anything. I am so glad that I did because it proved to be very worthwhile. Rylan really enjoyed it and asked when he could go back. There was one teacher and about six other siblings. Rylan was the youngest by a couple of years. They watched a video about taking care of newborns, answered some questions from the teacher immediately following the video, diapered, fed, and swaddled a baby doll. At one point, the teacher asked the kids to go find something off of a cart in the back of the room that babies could eat and on his way back Rylan said, "Mommy, you have to be really careful with babies because they can only drink milk from a bottle or from Mommy's breast." I apparently missed that part in the video. He obviously did not. Glad he will be prepared somewhat for that one!
Toward the end of the class, we took a trip up to the third floor, Labor and Delivery. I am positive he will be telling Grandma and Papa which floor to go to upon arrival at the hospital. The kids were able to look at the newborns through the windows and then visit one of the L&D rooms. I thought that was a wonderful idea, especially for smaller kiddos like Ry, so that they are not scared when they go visit Mom in the hospital.
Jason had a work dinner that evening and could not attend, but when he got home, he asked Rylan what he had learned. Rylan told him, "first you have to wash your hands before you touch the baby, then you need to cover up the baby when she is sleeping." I really think he is ready. I know he is ready for Mommy to play with him more. My lack of energy lately has made for a lazy and guilty feeling Mama. It takes a lot for me to get through the day and to do any little task...18 more days!
No comments:
Post a Comment