Well, I actually have a calm minute so I thought I would share our experience :).
Sunday evening, the 27th at 10 p.m., we went to Katy Memorial Herman to begin the induction. The plan was to get hooked up to an IV, start my antibiotics for the Group B Strep, and receive a cream that is supposed to ripen the cervix. However, after getting hooked up, the nurse checked me and I was 3 cm and having regular contractions every 3-6 minutes. With a call into Dr. Cole, it was decided to just wait until morning because apparently I was progressing fine on my own.
Around 7:15, the nurse (Jennifer ironically enough :)) came in to administer my second dose of antibiotic and begin a gradual pitocin drip. The contractions picked up a little and were slightly more intense, but I still did not want to receive an epidural because I was afraid it would stall my progression. Jennifer offered me something to just ease the pain through my IV, and that actually allowed me to dose off for about an hour. Around 11, Dr. Cole came into break my water and she suggested the epidural at that point which I agreed to. I probably should have gotten it sooner because immediately the contractions became really intense, closer together, and painful while I waited for the epidural. When I received the epidural they got better, but only on my left side. My right side could feel everything, just like with Rylan. We determined that there must be some sort of curvature or something in my spine that prevents it from taking full effect on both sides. I have to say that I have NO IDEA how people go through natural labor. What I felt was seriously ridiculous, although that could be because I dilated from 4.5 to 10 cm within an hour. It was really fast, just like with Rylan. I think it was around noon that I said, "um, why do I feel a lot of pressure and the need to push?" Sure enough, she was right there. Dr. Cole had left to go home, so they told me not to push. "Jason, how do I not push?" HA! I did hold off until she got there and it was three controlled and easy pushes and she was out without any trauma to me. It was probably good that the epidural did not work on the right side because I did feel the need to push and when I did push, it lessened the pain.
Callie Jae was born at 7 lbs. 2 oz., and 19 inches long. She cried the entire first hour she was with us and did not latch on until the last five minutes. However, the nursery nurse told us that she still had a lot of mucus and spit up quite a bit for awhile when she was in there. Callie Jae was a little gassy in the hospital for the first couple of days so she probably was just working it all out.
So that is my labor and delivery experience. It went so well and I was so happy and relieved with the end results. I feel great and thank God because life just doesn't stop when you have a 3 year old to take care of :).
Thank you God for being with me every step of the way and for guiding me in all of the decision making that occurred during this pregnancy. We are so blessed once again with a healthy, beautiful, and sweet little girl. She has us all wrapped around her little finger already!
1 comment:
God sent another angel for you to nurture and for all of us to love! So glad thus was a better experience for you and that Callie is getting acclimated. Hope Rylan is enjoying his role as big brother. Bet he is busy showing her the ropes. Bet Daddy is in 7th heaven! We are thrilled for you all and can't wait to meet our newest niece! Much love, L&J
Post a Comment